Friday, June 11, 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver is the story of a girl named Grace, who at a young age was attacked by a pack of wolves in the woods near her house.   She remembers one wolf who stops the rest of the pack from killing her.   She remembers his eyes...

Year after year, Grace keeps an eye out for her wolf.  Every winter, she looks forward to seeing the wolf with the yellow eyes near her house, hearing his howl above the others.

When a boy at school goes missing, then is determined as dead a hunting party is organized to kill off the wolves.  Horrified, Grace goes out into the woods to stop them.

That's when she finds Sam, naked on her front porch.  And his eyes...his eyes are just like the eyes of her wolf.

Thus began a brilliant love story...between a girl and a boy who turns into a wolf. 

What I Thought:
Several of my friends read this book and just raved about it...so I gave it a go.  And it was good!   All the reviews and such say that this book will give Twilight a run for its money, and while I think Twilight lovers will LOVE it, I kind of liked Twilight better.

But only because it had more sappy love story.  I'm mushy like that.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great love story too!  Sam is completely devoted to Grace, and vice versa...it's just not as unbelievably sappy as the Twilight books are.  Which I think a lot of people will appreciate!

Anyway, this book has it all.  Romance, paranormal, teenage drama, family issues, excitement, intense moments...everything you need for a great story!  And a cliff hanging ending that leaves you screaming in frustration.  But have no fear...the sequel Linger comes out in July!  So I don't have to wait that long.

This is a great book to hand to Twilight fans and those who enjoy paranormal romance.  I've already got a couple of people in line to read this one...I sure hope they like it as much as I did. 

Very highly recommended.

Want to see more?  Check it out on Amazon: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. 

Reviewed from a library copy.

No comments: