Friday, December 03, 2010

Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters by Barack Obama, illustrated by Loren Long



In this touching letter to his daughters, President Obama tell his girls about the traits they have and hopes they have, using examples from inspiring people from America's history: Helen Keller, Jackie Robinson, Jane Addams, Georgia O'Keefe, and many more.


What I Thought:
While President Obama's text is outstanding, the real winner of this book is Loren Long's illustrations.  These beautiful illustrations take the book to an entirely new, wonderful level.   I love how long included the President's daughters on each page, along with the inspirational person as a child.  With each page, the group grows. 

This is a wonderful book for any child in your life, and what a great introductory book for studying some of these important people in our nation's history.

I would not be surprised to see this book in the running for some literary awards.

Want to see more?  Check it out on Amazon: Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters by Barack Obama, illustrated by Loren Long

Reviewed from a library copy.

Check out this video featuring Loren Long discussing the book. (Click here, it will take to the video posted on Amazon's website.)

No comments: