Sunday, January 18, 2009

Movie Review: Bridge to Terabithia



Jess is the only brother amidst four sisters. He is picked on at school and is just a lonely guy. That is until Leslie moves in next door and shows up in his class. Together they come across a seemingly deserted piece of land with a uninhabited tree house. Leslie and her fantastic imagination declares the land their kingdom: Terabithia. As the duo rule the land and tackle the obstacles of their day to day life, a wonderful friendship blooms.

I finally had the opportunity to sit down and watch this movie. It had not been high on my "to see" list because I liked the book so much I was afraid the movie would not be able to do it justice!

However, I was wrong. The movie was quite good!

Considering that is has been years since I read this book, I was wary of remembering just how well the two would mesh. But to my memory, I think the movie stayed pretty well aligned with the novel. I loved how the movie brought out the imaginary world of Terabithia by making the various citizens of that land real and alive via movie magic.

Overall, I think this is a great movie. As with all movies that were books first, I always recommend that you read the novel before seeing the movie if at all possible. And this movie is no different!

So give it a shot! It is appropriate for older elementary kids. It's a movie full of imagination, friendship, and growing pains. (There are some very sad parts as well, FYI.)

No comments: