Monday, October 11, 2010

Southern Festival of Books 2010: Part One

This weekend was the Southern Festival of Books in Nashville, TN...an event I have been looking forward to for some time now!  It finally arrived and it was just an amazing weekend.

I LOVE the Southern Festival of Books.  It is so fun to listen to authors that I admire and discovering some new ones that I want to check out!  The first time I went, my mom joined me for the fun and this year my dad came with me.  That always makes the festival even more special!

Another aspect I really enjoy about the festival is striking up conversations with fellow book lovers while waiting to have books signed by the authors.  I had wonderful conversations with an elementary school librarian from Nashville, a lovely family with a middle school student from Murfreesboro (and the mom has a personalized, autographed, 1st edition copy of Where the Wild Things Are...WOW!), and another fun family with two young children from Lawrenceburg.  It's so fun to hear about the books they love and such.

So here's what happened this weekend...in parts!  Sorry...I had so much to say that I broke up the weekend into a few posts. 

First up, we checked out the book sale table. 

Thanks to hubby for the copy of Knuffle Bunny Free and to my parents for Guys Read: Funny Business and The Cardturner.  Happy Birthday to me!

Next, we headed into the auditorium for Jon Scieszka's talk.  I was super pumped to get to hear him...I adore his books and especially of his Guys Read initiative.  I did a huge project on it for a class!  In addition, I am planning a "Trucktown" party in January for the library! 

I knew his talk would be entertaining and funny...and I was right!  I loved hearing about his childhood (if you haven't read Knucklehead you totally should!) as well as his different books.  I now have an even great appreciation of The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and The Stinky Cheese Man.  He discussed Guys Read and why he feels that initiative is so important.

 Here is Jon Scieszka at the Southern Festival of Books on October 9, 2010 reading a bit from his Caldecott Honor Book The Stinky Cheese Man.  Photo Credit: Brooke Brown.

Scieszka discussed the new book Guys Read: Funny Business which is the first book in an anthology of short stories written by guys for guys of which he edited!  This one is "humor" and then there will be several more featuring different genres: mystery/chiller, non-fiction, science fiction, etc.  So there is something to look forward to!   Jon read a bit from his section he wrote along with Kate DiCamillo.

After his talk ended, I hurried out to the signing colonnade and got in line for Scieszka to sign my book.  Scieszka was very kind and even allowed us to have our picture taken!


Here is Jon signing my book.  


Me and Jon Scieszka!  Awesome!!!!  (Thanks Dad for taking the photos!)

I then rushed back into the auditoruim to hear Mo Willems speak.

More about that next time!

No comments: