Saturday, January 03, 2009

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead




Miranda lives in New York City in the 1970's. Miranda and her friend Sal walk back and forth to school everyday until one day Sal is punched by another kid on the way home. From that day forward he stays clear of Miranda, is not sure why.

Though Miranda is hurt, life goes on. Her mother is preparing to go on the game show "$10,000 Pyramid," she goes to school, works with some of her friends at a little deli during her school lunch hour, and curiously observes (from a distance) an odd man who lives on the street and sleeps with his head under the mailbox, and reading and rereading her most favorite books, A Wrinkle in Time.

Then some odd things begin happening. Miranda starts getting anonymous letters, and it kind of freaks her out...but slowly but surely time causes the pieces of the puzzle to fall together.

Could time travel really be possible?


What I Thought:
I wasn't so sure of this book, but decided to pick it up after reading positive review after positive review. And man, I'm so glad that I did!

This book keeps you on your toes and wondering what is going to happen next. Set in the 1970's, I found it to be a great flashback to that era. You might have to explain to your kids who Dick Clark is and maybe find an old episode of the $10,000 Pyramid game show!

This book is a perfect mix of science fiction and mystery. It's looking like it may be on the short list to win a Newbery and I would not object at all if the committee chose this book. It's well written and a great story!

I didn't think the cover is particularly catching, and that may be why this book did not move off my new shelf at all in the months my library has had it...but you can bet I'll be book talking this sucker to everyone who will listen!

Very highly recommended.

Want to see more: Check it out on Amazon: When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.

Reviewed from a library copy.

No comments: