Monday, November 15, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney

In the fifth installment of Greg Heffley's diary...er, journal...Greg encounters that middle school rite of passage we all look back at with a grimace and a smile...PUBERTY.

That's right, this year during Health class the boys are separated from the girls for part of the class where they are lectured about hygiene, and later in the year they are given the task to take care of an egg "baby" overnight.  (Which is almost successful for our pal Greg.) 

In true Diary of a Wimpy Kid fashion, Greg manages to find himself in a few situations that he finds super embarrassing, and experiences some new things....like his first lock-in!

On top of that, Greg is lectured about being responsible at home and when his mom decides to take some college classes, those responsibilities are piled on even more.

Why can't things just stay the same?

Greg comes to realize that growing up...it's the ugly truth. 

What I Thought: 
Oh, Greg.  How I find you absolutely adorable. 

And all BOY. 

Being a girl, but growing up with a brother, I have an appreciation of these books because I SEE middle school boys in this book.  They will LOVE it!

And though I imagine a good bit of this book is lost on me (though I LOVE it), there are millions of kids out there that will gobble this book up.  And rightly so. 

Very highly recommended.  I'm ready for book six, because I just can't get enough!

Want to see more?  Check it out on Amazon: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney.

Reviewed from a library copy.

See my other Diary of a Wimpy Kid reviews here:

Dog Days

No comments: